Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Implementing JPEG2000 in Vliv

The JPEG2000 format looks quite promising, because of its compression ratios and also because of features such as Regions Of Interest . So I am looking at implementing support in VLIV.

There are few libraries available (I am not counting professional and expensive ones):
  1. Jasper, free
  2. OpenJPEG free, OpenSource
  3. J2K-Codec, commercial
I have registered and tested J2K-Codec. The API is very simple and well adapted to Windows usage, in fact I have been able to integrate it in a few 10's lines of code. It is also very fast. However the LITE version (49$ + VAT) does not allow loading images with more than 5 resolutions. That is a problem because I cannot afford the Pro version that does (199$ + VAT). I would rather have a slower LITE version than a one I cannot use at all on some images.


I have not yet understood how tiling works with resolutions in JPEG2000, all I need is a simple way to load part of the image, per-resolution. Right now large images cannot be loaded because complete resolution takes too much memory.


If you wish to help on getting JPEG2000 support in Vliv, then contact me for source code. I am particularly interested on Very Large Images handling (aka tiling or ROI).

No comments: