Monday, June 4, 2007

A complete movie in one image

A friend of mine had this idea : make an image containing all frames from a movie.
So I have experimented a little and I have found it's quite easy to do this.

I am starting from an AVI that is about 700 Megabytes.

The first step is to reduce the size of the movie (so that size is 320x176 for example), using VirtualDub and a non-compressed RGB destination.

Next step is generation of individual frames. I use a two line AVISynth script, run the script in VirtualDub, and voila, 144499 jpeg images, each beeing a frame of the movie.

Next I use some custom code to recreate a single TIFF file with all images appended in a 250x166 tiling (64000x42416 pixels). Actually I take only 1/3 of the images because it would not fit in 32 bits.

Then I use my custom software to generate the TIFF pyramid.

The result is a 1 761 000 bytes file that allows zooming/panning in the movie.

Here is the most unzoomed image (reduced 50% from original size). Can you guess the movie I used ?


No comments: