Sunday, September 30, 2007

Integrating your own gigapixel images in Google Earth

I have found that the processing necessary to integrate very large images in Google Earth 4.2 is, if not easy, possible.

All you need is create a version of your image padded to a power of two in both dimensions, then scale by 2 recursively until image fits in a 256x256 pixels tile.

Then you have to subdivide each image in single tiles.

Finally you have to create a suitable KML file.

The documentation for this feature can be found here.

I have some scripts that automate the process for a given TIFF image.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you post the scripts that you've written? It would be fun to try.

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of guy who enjoys to seek fresh things. Presently I'm constructing my private solar panels. I'm managing it all alone without the aid of my men. I'm using the net as the only way to acheive that. I came across a really amazing website that explains how to build photovoltaic panels and wind generators. The website explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I'm not sure about how accurate the information given there iz. If some experts over here who had experience with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it would be grand and I'd highly appreciate it, because I truly would love to try [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. U people rock.